2018 race and the weather: message from Race Director, Friday 16 March

Dear Moyleman Runner

As you may be aware, the weather forecast for Sunday has been progressively deteriorating as the week has gone on, and the Met Office has now issued a Yellow Warning for the Lewes area for both Saturday and Sunday.

Whilst snow in itself is not expected to be too much of an issue, wind chill on the Downs from strong north easterly winds and poor visibility could be.

We have a duty of care to everyone involved in the event – runners, marshals and volunteers – to make sure the whole event can take place safely from start to finish. This consideration, and the best information we have on conditions and the forecast, will determine whether the race can go ahead as planned.

At the moment, we are planning on the basis that the race will go ahead, keeping a close eye on the weather and course conditions. We will keep this under review right up to the start time.

If we have to make the very difficult decision to not run the race, it could be as late as Sunday morning, based on conditions as we find them on the day. We want to make sure now you are aware that this is a possibility, albeit a remote one.

As things stand, the race will go ahead and the conditions are expected to be tough. We should remind you that it is your responsibility to make sure you can travel to and from the race safely, and that you dress appropriately for the conditions.

We very much hope that we don’t have to contact you again, and that we will see you raring to go on Sunday Morning.

With kind regards

Duncan

(Race Director)

An off-road March marathon in the hills around Lewes